A Cornice Board for Chris and Bill

My husband and I had just arrived at THE winter event in Detroit, The Detroit International Auto Show.  At a company pre-party, where everyone works for the auto industry, I am a novelty.  Not only do I not work in automotive, sometimes it's hard to explain what I do "DO."  I was so exited to meet Chris, we were instantly New Non-Automotive Party Friends.  I explained what I "do" and within seconds Chris and Bill invited me to their home at my earliest convince to check out their 25' window and cornice they'd like upholstered.  Now, we were all at least one drink in so while I was already day-dreaming about their project I tried not to get my hopes up lest they change their mind.

Lucky for me they were completely serious! And a joy to work with, I hope we will be able to work together again!  I loved this project if you can't tell :)

They have a state of the art home that is completely "smart".  They wanted to have automated shades (they can control with their PHONE!!!) and after those were installed Bill would handle making the cornice board.  My job was to upholster the cornice board.

cornice board blank

Bill did amazing job!  Just like when my Dad makes cornice boards for me,  they look so beautiful plain sometimes it's hard to cover them with fabric, and check those sleek shades!

I gathered my friends.  That gorgeous print? It's Fynn by Premiere Prints. I made over 50' of coordinating pipe and on we went.  This job was a little different as I had to have everything ready to go.  I matched up and cut the print prior to install, not pictured the 3/4" batting; also not pictured my nerves hoping I got all the measurements right.

Step One, spray glue down the batting to the front face.

Step two, staple down front face fabric and pipe.  In this picture you can also see the strip of fabric for the top face laying face down ready to be stapled down.


Step three, all of the layers sandwiched together. front face, pipe, top face and the secret to it all Dritz Upholstery Strip  makes a nice crisp fold. AND STAPLE.

Time to check in.  If you are working with a print make sure it is matching.  Make sure you don't have any bumps pleats or folds.  Smooth it all down and get ready to STAPLE some more!


Step four and five, for this job, I didn't want to complicate things, normally I would have run hot glue with a ribbon to cover all those staples and make a finished edge on the back that no one ever sees, however I didn't want to run the risk the extra bulk from doing that might cause. Then I stapled down the front face fabric on underneath and laid down the piping.


Step six, time to sandwich everything together again on the underside.  Front face fabric, piping, lining, and the cardboard strips. 

Step 7, I tucked the lining under and stapled it close to the top.  Again I kept it simple with this job.  Many times lining the bottom of the top face would have been ideal and then bringing the lining  from the bottom of the front face together to meet in the crease, but it just didn't make sense to do it that way for this job.

Step 8, Bill wanted to do some faux panels at each side to complete the look.  We went with a coordinating solid red. With the board so tight there was not much room.  The best plan was to just staple the panels flat with a few pleats. The finished look was perfect.


Last, but certainly not least, I found a great complimenting fabric to tie things together.  Chris and Bill have touches of red through out their main living area, but it's always a good idea to use the rule of threes, which in interior design just means you need to repeat a color or theme at least 3 times to make flow and look right. When I saw this stripe fabric I knew the neutral with pop of red was the perfect print to bring in some more red. Ah and the boat :)