Kitchen Valance for Danielle

I was so excited when my friend Danielle asked me to work on a valance for her kitchen.  Danielle has great style and I knew I was going to love working on her project! She recently updated her kitchen and got NEW WINDOWS!!! It was time to put down some serious game when it came to her new window treatment.  Here is what we came up with :) And you can read all about how this look came together!

Valance Installed at Danielle's House

I used three fabrics.  Sunbrella Vellum for the lack lining. Sunbrella fabrics are amazing! They are moisture, sun, and stain repellent.The feature fabric was the Iman Plantation fabric. Then sandwiched in between these two fabrics I put a layer of black out.  Black out, on it's own, would have been a great lining, but since the valance was not very big instead of adding a hidden pocket for the rod, I just used three entire layers, as you'll see. For a rod I used a 2 1/2" Dauphine Pocket rod. And last but not least some great premium tri-color twisted cord for the trim.

Then using tissue I played around until I got the shape just right.  Bonus I could see the exact pattern in the fabric through the tissue.

Then I pinned the cord in place. Cord has a bit of stretch to it so it is best to pin in place before baste stitching, especially with all the curves in this valance.

Here in this photo you see the black out fabric.  I basted together the blackout, feature fabric, and the cord.

Then I pinned the Subrella backing and the feature fabric right sides together.

Next I got out my piping/cording foot to attach the cord.

Here you see how easily the piping foot neatly and precisely attaches the cord.


Then it was time to clip all those curves! Clip Clip CLIP!

After I was done clipping I under-stitched all of the seam allowances to the back liner. This helps the valance lay flat and helps the cord lay forward.

Then it was time to create the pocket and stitch on the cord to the top.

Keeping the feature fabric out of the way I used the blackout and the Subrella backer to form the pocket. I was able to draw a line right on to the blackout liner.  Then I attached the cord to the top, stitching it to the feature fabric and the blackout.  And folded the cord and feature fabric down and the Sunbrella down so they met at the cord. I hand stitched them all together at to top.  I did the same at the sides. Forgive me for not having a photo!

After installing the rod with here is the result!